I hate to be a nay-sayer and really hate telling people not to do things, but this is something that I can’t be quiet about. Coca-Cola is dangerous and you need to stop drinking it right now.
Now, before you tell me to adjust my tinfoil hat and calm down, I want to explain something. I love drinking Coca-Cola. It was my go-to drink for most of my teenage years and as an adult, I still like to indulge in the odd tin. That was until I realised the damage it was doing to me. I’m very lucky that I still have my teeth and don’t have diabetes, but I do have IBS. It’s something that I like to complain about from time to time. Do you know caused it? Bingo baby! Coca-Cola! I worked that out after keeping a food diary and the only thing that was always there at my flare-ups was Coca-Cola. And by “flare-up” I mean “crippling diarrhoea for 3 hours that nearly resulted in a trip to the hospital”.
The Health Risks
- Diabetes- Diabetes is on the rise across the world and sugary drink are the main reason. There is so much sugar in these drinks that just one a day can increase your risk of developing blood sugar problems by 25%.
- Diarrhoea- Yep, my personal favourite, it is due to fructose malabsorption. Basically, the fructose sits in your intestines and attracts a lot of water, and then it has to come out.
- Weight gain- It shouldn’t be surprising that all of those empty calories cause weight gain but most people don’t realise that all of the excess sugar gets turned into fat.
- Tooth decay- That sugar might only be in your mouth for a second but it clings to your teeth and breaks down the enamel. When I got my tongue pierced many moons ago, my mum tried to get the dentist on her side but the dentist shot her down saying, “I’d rather see a tongue piercing than someone who drinks loads of fizzy drinks”.
Other uses for Coca-Cola
- It can be used to wash grease from fabrics
- If you get chewing gum stuck in your hair, simply dip the portion of hair in coke for around 2 minutes, and the gum will slide right off
- It can also remove hair dye
- It can clean engines
- It will even remove oil stains from the garage floor. Pour some on, leave for a while before hosing it off
- It can destroy slugs and snails in the garden
- It can remove rust stains
- You can make pennies look shiny and new by washing them in coke
- It can descale your kettle
- It can clean the toilet and remove gunk from the pipes
- It can remove blood stains from clothes
- You can polish chrome by mixing it will aluminum foil
- If your floor looks a bit grimy, pour some coke on it, leave for a few minutes, and when you mop it up, your floor and grout will look like new
I’m not saying “don’t ever buy coke again!” Just find a different use for it other than drinking it.