Child maintenance || Will it ever get settled?

Child maintenance

I’m pretty cross right now. I have spent the best part of six years trying to get my ex-partner to pay his child support. And nobody is doing anything to help.  After a having a search online as to what to do, I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands. Hell hath no fury like a woman who is owed money!

I have never received payment from my ex so I don’t rely on the money but what is annoying me is the fact that he is in arrears. Massive arrears. Over £21,000 in arrears. And there isn’t a damn thing that I can do about it. But I’m not alone. There are plenty of people out there who are in the same situation who really need the weekly payments. There is an estimated £2.9 billion in unpaid child support that the Government can’t collect. Or won’t collect. I even went to a solicitor to see if they could enforce this payment somehow.

Make a complaint

The very first thing I did was complain. This needs to be the first step in any formal matter. This is supposed to give the company a chance to deal with your problem, but because of how they have been handling this case for the last few years I’m not expecting much. Once I had made the complaint, I screen dumped for future reference. They stated they would respond within 10 days.

Contact your MP

Your taxes pay their wages so do not worry about contacting them. I have used my local MP a few times over the years when dealing with the Government. Sometimes having someone like an MP in your corner can help make all the difference. In this case, I feel really justified in contacting him because 6 years and over £20k is a joke!

Claims Court

Did you know that you can take someone to court if they owe you money? I know my ex has it, the f**ker drives around in a Porsche jeep! One thing that did cross my mind was to take him to court for the amount he owes, plus a bit more. The thing is, if I was able to get the arrears, it will still be a battle to get him to make regular payments. So, why not take him for £50k? Let’s call that the full amount that he should pay me for child maintenance. The amount that he would pay is probably more than that (inflation etc) but I would happily cut my losses for that lump sum. This is my last resort if the complaints and MP don’t do anything.

And that is that. All I can do now is wait for the official time periods to pass before I can do anything else.

What’s your experience with the CSA? Do you have a partner that just won’t pay? Let me know in the comments what your experience has been.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.