Cooking is hard. I have never said that I was a great cook. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to the kitchen. But could it be easier? And can a microwave make cuisine?
One of the big problems we face today is time. We want to make time to do things but don’t have time to make time. That’s a paradox right there! We want to eat healthily but don’t like the idea of meal prep. We want nice food but don’t have time to stand and cook. The challenge was placed by several people (most of them I go to the gym with)- healthy quick food that tastes like cuisine.
One of my favourite dishes is scallops. I love that meaty texture of shellfish that can be cooked quickly. Cooking a scallop in the pan only takes 2 minutes or they can be steamed. Do you know what you can do that in? The microwave.
I have done this for a few different dinners over the years, the joys of cooking for one when you are working! But, it is possible to “fry” something in the microwave. I have an ex-boyfriend that liked to “fry” bacon in the microwave using a little oil and an old Tupperware container.
Healthy Microwaved Scallops
- Fresh Scallops (2-3 per person)
- Fresh carrots
- Fresh courgettes
- Sesame oil
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to season
- First, prepare your scallops by washing any grit off them. The orange part, known as the roe, can be cut off. It is safe to eat and just tastes a bit stronger.
- Place the scallops in a microwave safe dish, such as a pyrex dish or a Tupperware container, with a tablespoon of sesame oil. Pop in the microwave for 1 minute.
- While the scallops cook on one side, prepare your veg. I use a veggie peeler to get really thin slices that will cook quickly in the microwave.
- Put the courgette into another microwave dish with some olive oil. When the scallops ping, flip them over, put the courgette in the microwave beside the scallops (in two separate dishes) and cook for another minute.
- Place the carrots in another microwave dish with some water. When the microwave pings again, take the scallops out and put the carrots in beside the courgettes.
- Cook the carrots and the courgette for another minute.
- Start placing the scallops out on your plate, once the veggies are cooked, put them out too.
- That’s it! Enjoy your meal
There are so many recipes for microwaves out there! And it is so easy to create simple yet tasty that the whole family will enjoy! My kids loved this recipe because it is super quick. There is no need to wait on pans heating up, ovens to get to the right temperature…..it’s just so simple!